Are you interested in catering courses in Kenya and wondering where to start looking? The good news is that several institutions offer this course. All you need to do is to register and signup for the course at the school of your choice.
If you are interested in taking catering courses online, you have to start by finding the right school near you. Fortunately, there is a lot of information about schools offering different catering courses in different parts of Kenya. However, you must also know what you are going for.
Most of the catering courses offered in different colleges and universities in Kenya range from certificate to degrees. They also come in different specifications and duration depending o the college you want to attend.
Catering courses in Kenya
Is catering a good course? Yes, it equips interested students with the necessary know-how to thrive in the catering industry of Kenya. It is targeted for people who enjoy working and being creative around food. Those who are passionate about hotel management will also enjoy taking this course.
Fortunately, there are several options for people interested in venturing into this industry as professionals. The most popular catering courses options in Kenya include:
- Hotel management
- Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Hospitality management
- Hot kitchen cookery
- Baking and Pastry
Durations and requirements for catering courses
Once you know which course you want to take, you may need to consider the duration it would take to complete one. Usually, a standard catering course takes 18 months to complete. Most colleges that offer a Diploma in Hotel & Catering Management will also require that you attain an entry grade of C- (minus) in KCSE.
However, the duration a specific course takes will differ depending on the level of certification. Certificate level courses take a shorter compared to degree courses.
Apart from the course level, different colleges offer different levels of certifications for varied periods. For instance, a certificate in catering in one college may take 4 months to complete, and 6 months in a different college for a similar course level.
Potential workplaces after course completion
Once students are equipped with the necessary knowledge and certified upon successful completion of the course, they can work in different places. With the acquired skills, students can work in hotels as chefs and kitchen staff.
Those who wish to be self-employed have the option of setting up their own catering businesses. Popular sectors to work in include:
- Food and beverage – employed or be self-employed
- Travel and tourism
- Hotel management
- Delivery services
Catering courses in Nairobi and colleges offering
There are several institutions offering catering courses in Kenya’s capital city. These range from degrees to certificates and vary in duration. With so many catering training courses on offer, anyone can transform their passion into a career after getting the relevant training. Below are examples of what such colleges offer.
1. Courses from St. Kizito Vocational Training
Below are the catering courses & fees details potential students need to know when planning to join this school.
1. NVCET catering course
It takes one year to complete, with the examination being carried out by the ministry of youth.
2. Artisan catering courses
This takes 1 year to complete, and KNEC carries out examinations.
3. Short courses
The college offers several short cases that take only three months to complete, with internal examinations.
- Hot kitchen cookery for 3 months
- Pastry and bakery for 3 months
- Cookery, pastry, and bakery for 6 months
2. Kenya Utalii College
As one of the major catering colleges in Kenya, Utalii offers a range of courses for its students. Some of these courses include:
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Services and sales for one and a half years
- Certificate in Food Prodcution Apprenticeship for two years
- Certifcate in Food Production for One and a half years
3. International Hotel and Tourism Institute
This college is located in Kileleshwa, Nairobi. It offers a BTEC Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts. The course takes 2 years to complete.
4. Boma International Hospitality College
The college offers several courses that include:
- Diploma in Culinary Arts: This requires a minimum entry grade of C plan in KCSE or 3 passes in IGCSE
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Operations for one year
- Certificate in Food Beverage and Service Techniques
- Certificate in Pastry and Bakery
- Certificate in International Cookery
5. Kenya Polytechnic University College
It offers a Diploma in Catering and Hotel Management for 2 years. Students must have attained a minimum of C plain to enroll. Alternatively, they must have a certificate in catering and hospitality.
The above catering certificate courses are available at the college. It is advised that interested people should get in contact with the institution for more details.
Other popular colleges in Nairobi to go for include:
- Archdiocese of Nairobi, Kariobangi Women Promoting Training Institute
- Mother Bertilla Vocational Training Centre, Karen
- Sheraton Catering College, Nairobi
- Air Travel and Related Studies Center. It offers International Pastry and Bakery production for one year, and International Food and Beverage Service for 2 years.
Colleges outside Nairobi
Catering students do not have to travel to the capital city to take a class. There are several options closer to them to be considered. Find out which college you can attend near you. Below are highlights of a few colleges offering excellent catering courses you could consider if you come from these regions.
1. Kasarani catering college courses
How long does a catering course take in Kenya? It can take as short as three months and as long as 3 to 4 years, depending on the level you are taking. Degrees and diplomas take longer than certificates. Kasarani Catering College offers some of these courses, including:
- Diploma in Food Production for 2 years
- Certificate in Food Production for 1 year
- Cookery course for 6 months
- Diploma in Food and Beverage Management for 2 years
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Management for a year
- Diploma in Hotel Management for 2 years
- Certificate in Hotel Management for one year
The school also offers short courses which take 3 months, at a cost of 30,000 Kenya shillings.
2. Eldoret Technical Training Institute
The school offers a Diploma course in Catering and Accommodation. It is divided into two, each with varying durations. The first course takes 18 months with 3 modules, while the second course takes 12 months with 2 modules. It also offers an Artisan Certificate which takes 12 months to complete.
3. Christemberg College Voi
The school offers a course in Catering and Hospitality Management. It takes one and a half years to complete.
4. Jubilee College, Kitui
The school offers a Diploma course in Catering and Hospitality Management. Students need to have attained a C minus to pursue this course.
5. Serein Education Centre, Nakuru
To join this college, a student needs to have a C minus. It takes 18 months to complete a catering cost at the college, at the cost of 12000 per semester.
6. Hemland College of Technical and Professional Studies, Thika
It offers a Diploma in Catering and Accommodation studies for 2 and a half years. A minimum grade of C minus is required for entry.
Other colleges outside Nairobi include:
- Jodan College of Technology Thika Main Campus, Thika. This one requires interested students to a minimum of D plain KCSE course at 12,000 Kenya shillings. It takes 1 year to complete the catering course.
- Word of Faith Community College, Kiambu
- St. Judes Technical College Mumias.
- Mumbuni Technical College Machakos
- Ruiru College of Catering and Management Studies, Ruiru
Some of the most popular catering courses in Kenya will equip the learner with important skills to get them going. Kenya has several colleges offering catering courses across the country, meaning that students have an option to study from any part of the country. Each of these colleges has varied requirements for the different courses they offer. Know what is needed in the college you want to attend.
In other news, Tuko.co.ke highlighted some of the best medicine courses in different colleges in Kenya. If you’re passionate about medicine, find out the best schools to attend. The article also lists the requirements needed to take these courses.
Subscribe to watch new videos
- USIU online university courses, admission requirements and fees 2020/2021
- Best online graphic design courses in 2020