Rule issued Friday allows bars to serve alcohol to customers indoors when they are seated and 6 feet apart. It runs through Oct. 30.
Indoor bars in Michigan that couldn’t open during the pandemic because they didn’t meet revenue requirements called for in executive orders can now do so, but with strict regulations in place.
Robert Gordon, director of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, issued a new order Friday that includes several changes to previous orders for bars and restaurants regarding COVID-19.
Much of the new order, effective immediately and running through Oct. 30, replicates an order issued Monday, but it also allows bars to serve alcohol to customers indoors when they are seated and 6 feet apart. Mandates for food establishments remained the same as Monday’s order.
Restaurateur Jeremy Sasson, president of Heirloom Hospitality Group operates Detroit’s Prime & Proper and Townhouse restaurants in Detroit and
ROCKFORD — Bar owner Nick Fosberg is not going to stop serving customers inside Fozzy’s Bar and Grill, the Loves Park business he opened last year.
Yes, he’s aware of the state’s order directing Rockford-area bars and restaurants to stop all indoor dining and bar service until the region has a better handle on the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Fosberg just doesn’t think bars and restaurants have anything to do with the spread of the virus, and he doesn’t think he’s under any legal obligation to follow Gov. JB Pritzker’s latest executive order.
“According to our attorney, there’s no law that says you can shut down indoor dining,” Fosberg said. “We’re not breaking any laws.
“We’re following the same rules that were put in place before when dining reopened. We have no live music, no dancing, 6 feet between tables, masks for all of our staff.”
Fosberg is far from alone.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock was last night accused of breaking his own Covid curfew by drinking in a Commons bar beyond 10pm – where he made a crass joke about the Government’s test and trace failings.
Mr Hancock arrived at the bar just before a 9.40pm vote, ordered a glass of white wine and announced: ‘The drinks are on me – but Public Health England are in charge of the payment methodology so I will not be paying anything.’
His ill-conceived joke came after he had tried to explain to the Commons why the quango had lost nearly 16,000 positive coronavirus tests – a fiasco which Labour claimed had put ‘lives at risk’.
A senior Tory MP told The Mail on Sunday that Mr Hancock remained in the Smoking Room bar until at least 10.25pm, despite Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle insisting that Commons venues must abide by the same 10pm
Last-minute changes to Scotland’s new coronavirus restrictions which will allow cafes to stay open if they do not sell alcohol have created a “lack of clarity”, Nicola Sturgeon has admitted.
Pubs and licensed restaurants across the country’s central belt will be forced to close for all but takeaway service for 16 days from 6pm on Friday.
But the first minister later revealed cafes will be exempt from the shutdown if they do not sell booze – triggering ongoing questions about how exactly a cafe is defined.
Speaking at the Scottish government’s coronavirus briefing on Friday, Ms Sturgeon acknowledged the frustration but said the new measures attempted to strike a balance between saving lives and protecting the economy.
She said the exemption was aimed at addressing a “potential anomaly” where outlets
This story was updated at 4:43 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020, with more information.
Eleven years after opening his first restaurant at the Fuji Steak & Sushi restaurant in Chattanooga, Canton, Georgia, restaurateur Quanren Lin is preparing to open a seafood restaurant in a former Applebee’s restaurant near Hamilton Place Mall.
Known as the Volcano Crab and Bar restaurants, the new eatery at 2342 Shallowford Village Drive is scheduled to open in the next month or two and will feature a variety of lobster tail, shrimp, steak, and crab leg entrees. Joyce Lin, who like Quanren Lin emigrated to the United States from Hong Kong to enter the restaurant business, said the Volcano Crab and Bar will be open daily from 11 a.m.. to 10 p.m. with luncheon and dinner menus.
The restaurant is expected to have 15 to 20 employees initially and hiring for the new workers should
Victory’s biggest challenge is making sure people were aware that New Orleans bars close no later than 11 p.m. under the city’s Phase 3.1 guidelines.
NEW ORLEANS — Bar and restaurant owners said they were pleased to see foot traffic after many of them were closed or had their businesses capacity limited by local and state mandates to slow the spread of the coronavirus.
Saturday marked the first day New Orleans city leaders moved into Phase 3.1, a modified gradual move into Phase 3 that the rest of Louisiana has already implemented.
Tourists from Mississippi, Texas and elsewhere lined Bourbon Street waiting for their chance to get a to-go drink, something made available again for the first time on Saturday.
“Thank God that it came out 3.1 was starting,” Daniel Victory who owns Victory Nola in the Central Business District said.
Victory Nola has been closed because of the pandemic.
The Knox County Board of Health has extended the bar and restaurant 11 p.m. closure order for at least 14 days with the hope of continuing to slow the spread of COVID-19.
The board also extended a public gathering limit of 25 people for small indoor spaces.
Both measures will expire Oct. 15 without another extension.
The vote was 7-1 in favor of extending the 11 p.m. closure measure. Only Dr. Dianna Drake voted in opposition. Dr. Martha Buchanan and Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs were not present. The vote to extend the public gathering order was unanimous.
“I’m really hoping that will be it,” Dr. Patrick O’Brien said. “We really don’t want to ping pong … we don’t want to drop it and bring it back.”
O’Brien said he had heard from the Knoxville Police Department that local business owners had quickly complied with the new regulations.
Richland County bar and restaurant owners say they should be allowed to be fully opened during the hours allowed under their state liquor permits. A group of a half dozen owners and operators met Tuesday with the Richland County commissioners to present statistics and arguments they hope the board can use to convince Gov. Mike DeWine to immediately remove the 10 p.m. restriction on the sale of alcohol that was issued in late July to help fight the coronavirus pandemic.
“We’ve complied with everything they’ve asked
WEST LAFAYETTE – As Dr. Jeremy Adler, Tippecanoe County’s health officer, faces mounting pressure from community leaders to ease local restaurant and bar restrictions, Purdue President Mitch Daniels and others on campus encouraged him to stand firm, even after the rest of the state was cleared to reopen at full capacity.
In a letter dated Monday, Daniels and members of the Protect Purdue implementation team urged Adler to wait at least a month to make a move. They wrote that keeping Purdue’s campus, reopened in August to a record enrollment for the fall semester, could depend on it.
“The data on COVID-19 community spread gathered over the past nine months clearly indicate that indoor venues such as restaurants and bars represent the most risky of environments,” Daniels wrote.